Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tonsils

On Feb. 17 Chelsa and I headed to the hospital bright and early to get her tonsils and adenoids taken out. We were admitted right away and put into one of the day surgery rooms. She needed to be there at 8:00 in the morning even though her surgery wasn't scheduled until 10:00. We changed her into the hospital outfit and awaited instructions. Shortly a nurse came in and did the routine check, her temperature, listening to her lungs and asked me a bunch of questions. I was looking at her thinking, she really doesn't have a clue about what is about to a happen. So after the nurse left, I tried to explain again what was going to happen. When I had talked to her about this before at home, she was more excited to have popsicles, juice and watch movies. Chloe said, Mom it seems like to Chelsa this is going to be a fun thing. So I proceeded to tell her again what was going to happen, that they were going to put her to sleep and take her tonsils out. I kept explaining, that it was going to hurt and when she woke up I wouldn't be there right away, but she would see me soon. I still wasn't sure if she had understood what I was telling her. She had no reaction and just listened (it looked like she had zoned out). We had 2 hours to kill until her surgery. We played with her toys and my Itouch for a bit. Then went for a walk and played with the Hospitals toys. She colored and enjoyed that. After a while, she looks at me and says "Mom, can't I just get my throat cut now"....I had to pause for a minute, what a horrible thought and yet funny at the same time. I guess she was listening to me after all and that is how she had interpreted it in her three year old mind. When it was finally time for the surgery, it so hard for me to see the anesthesiologist put her to sleep. Here I am, leaving my child with a bunch of strangers, who are about to operate on her. I left the operating room with tears in my eyes and said a quick prayer. The surgery did go well and she really was a trooper. The nurses were very impressed with her and told her that she should get a gold star. The recovery at home is always harder, but she pulled through and she is doing much better now. I'm glad that is all over and in the past. We sure love our Chelsa. It is always hard to see your child go through something like that.

2 comments:

Melanie and Curtis said...

What a tough and strong little girl. I bet it's nice to have that all over with! Hopefully you won't have to do it with Jensen. And way to be a tough mommy!

Hasslers said...

Cute little Chelsa, sorry that she had to go through that, it is hard to leave your child with strangers. The healing process is painful too, yet worth it in the end, because they are healthier. Sweet little girl, glad it went well and is over with!